How serious is the slow focus of X-Pro1 affecting purchase decision?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
mr moonlight Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
Re: If you want to shoot football, pogo dancing, or birds in flight...

Blue Swan Media wrote:

I haven't used the OM-D yet but have one on order. On paper it seems to be a better fit for just about everyone, myself included, but my XP1 has so far managed to stay un-returned despite several blown shots of fast moving kids.

Thing is, the XP1 is so damn sexy and challenging. . .it's like dating a really moody, high maintenance girl who's the hottest thing you've ever laid eyes on. Feeling like you've fought the camera and won every time you get a great shot - like you've passed some sort of challenge - is part of the fun. The OM-D seems so boringly perfect - who wants that LOL?

That's really it in a lot of ways. Especially when you first start using it. Sometimes just doesn't want to budge and can be a real PIA. Once you get used to how it works it's a totally different story. It's not perfect, and there will always be some frustration at times, but overall and for many of us, it gives back a lot more than most other cameras. There's not many cameras that inspire an emotional response, but this one does.

The usual pro DSLR is like a modern day BMW. Very refined, extremely responsive and operates exactly as you want it to every time. It's perfect.

The Xpro1 is more like a classic sports car. It's not even close to refined, doesn't hold a candle to your average modern day sedan in terms of responsiveness and sometimes it just doesn't want to operate at all. Yet when everything is in sync and your driving down that curvy open road, it's more than perfect.

There's a reason people like shooting with Rangefinder cameras and it's not because they're the fastest things on the market.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow