How many MP is enough?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
vin 13
vin 13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,479
the goalposts keep moving...

... there will never be enough. I think the general consensus will continue to change along with the technology.

Before digital, the biggest I ever got a 5x4 scanned was around 45MB, which equates to around 16MP. Partly this was due to what computers back in the days of Photoshop 2 could handle, and the capacity of optical media at the time. It was more than enough for any printed application at the time, 60x40" advertising posters were screen printed at 32dpi. They were big dots!

Large format digital printing (along with the cameras) has changed that. People will always want to push the technology to the max.

Personally, I still think 16MP is still enough most of the time, actually for my work 6MP is probably enough most of the time. However occasionally when something needs to be seriously enlarged, I'd like to have more, sometimes lots more!

vin 13's gear list:vin 13's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ihv
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow