Just cancelled Amazon D800 and closed my Amazon account

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
TFergus
TFergus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,188
Re: they changed my delivery dates, too (but, I'm glad). ;-)

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Well...this has nothing to do with a Nikon dSLR order. But, I figured I'd share my most recent experience with Amazon.com

I ordered something for my wife from Amazon on April 18th using the free "Super Saver" shipping option.

The order confirmation e-mail indicated this:

"Delivery estimate: Apr. 24, 2012 - Apr. 28, 2012"

Then, later that same day on April 18th, I got an e-mail saying the item had shipped, only now it said this (and they also included a UPS tracking number for it):

"Your estimated delivery date is: Friday, April 20, 2012"

Sure enough, the package arrived on April 20th, 4 to 8 days earlier than their original Delivery Estimate, and only 2 days after I placed the order using the Free Shipping option, even though it was a heavy package (shipping weight of 30 pounds).

But, I'm not going to cancel my Amazon account or complain about them changing the Delivery Date and getting it to me so fast using the Free Shipping option.

My experience with Amazon is that the "free super saver" shipping estimates are just to cover themselves. If it's Amazon actually shipping the product then there is no harm if you order something already knowing the worst case for delivery and it turns out better. Seems to always be the case for me.

But if it's someone else shipping the item, sold THROUGH Amazon, then it is a more realistic expectation since those sellers often don't have a shipping dept. that is on top of these things. Still.. they can ship it as fast as they want and you often get it sooner from them too.

Then again... with this guy cancelling his account, they may have to lay off a bunch of their shipping dept. and those delivery times might get ridiculous.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow