Evaluative Meter = TERRIBLE for 'Focus & Recompose'

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
f_stops Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Evaluative Meter = TERRIBLE for 'Focus & Recompose'

tony field wrote:

cs hauser wrote:

tony field wrote:

If you understand how you metering/focus system works, then it is easy to utilize in a logical fashion. It is necessary to determine the sequence of events of events that will result in an appropriate exposure. I choose exposure, focus, recompose, shoot as the correct sequence. There are trivially other sequences that work as well.

If you had carefully read what I originally wrote, you would already know why your method is flawed. I don't feel like re-writing everything that I already wrote. If you re-read it, you would know why your method is wrong. You end up having a meter reading that is heavily skewed towards some random object.

I did read carefully. Seems you do not. I merely pointed out the workflow of shooting that can result in appropriate exposure.

My method is not "flawed". The objective is to take the meter reading from an appropriate area (not random) that is will deliver the right exposure for the scene. Maybe you point to random areas and pray - I suggest that you try to figure out how the meter (any mode) actually works and learn where to point the meter.

Sorry CS, reread Tony's post. He is correct - you missed the point.

Furthermore, the evaluative metering is not 'spot' reading the AF point. You are correct that metering will change (a bit) if the recompose spot shifts to a different EV value - but in practice the EV values need to be different by a significant amount. .

My first solution to your problem is to shoot in manual mode. I don't consider this a problem, just a consideration on how the metering system works. Tony's solution is another approach if you prefer auto metering.

This effect is much more noticeable on my M9, where the metering is a true wide-spot meter. Canon's evaluative metering does a fairly good job of getting exposure correct using focus-recompose in most situations.

f_stops's gear list:f_stops's gear list
Leica M9
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tmr
HSU
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow