The D7000 has two personalities and that's a problem

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TZ Photo New Member • Posts: 15
The D7000 has two personalities and that's a problem

I've had the D7000 for over a year now and I must say I don't know what to think about this camera. I use it along my D3, it serves me in situations when the D3 is too loud in theatrical environment. I want to like this camera, I'm very impressed by it's built quality, all the buttons and wheels' tactile quality, I also think it's very responsive, no complaint in this regards. But I can't come to terms with it's AF, light metering, tonality of the photos, noise and back LCD color. I don't want to complaint for complaint's sake but to make sure I did all my best to fine tune my camera.

Despite using micro adjustment I'm still not getting satisfactory number of keepers with my 80-200/2,8D, Tokina 28-70/2,8 and 16-85 which I use mostly wth this camera. Focus is unreliable. I work mainly in M mode but when I use A or P, the metering is also not much dependable. What I really don't understand is that I can't get good color and tonality of my photos, Despite using custom settings the color and tonality of the files is nowhere near what I get from my D3. The back LCD also doesn't help. I thought it should be the same as in my D3, but it isn't. I can't depend on it when judging brightness and color. Do you know it the technologies are different for those both screens? I'm an avid long time user of capture NX, I know how to fine tune my settings in this programm, but I don't like what I get from this camera and I really like Capture NX2 and use it always in my workflow. Another thing is that I can get very noticeably better sharpness through NX2 than jpg straight from the camera. Luckily I always shoot NEF+ jpg.

So, to you who also know well the D3 camera, are your experiences similar to mine?

The last thing is: yesterday I was shooting a concert next to a Canon photographer. I don't know which camera he had, but his silent mode was much more silent than mine and in live view his camera was almost completely silent unlike mine. I know Canon users have their own problems but it's a pity I can't get a good silent low light camera from Nikon. I have already both so many of them: D100, D70, D70s, D200, D90 - I must say that the D7000 is a really mixed bag. Fortunately I love what the D3 gives me. I only can't use it in concerts, only during reheasals.

TZ Photo's gear list:TZ Photo's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +18 more
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D3 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MRM
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
eNo
MOD Mako2011
MRM
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow