Let's unite for new Mac Pro!!!!

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Peter Rongsted Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
Re: Let's unite for new Mac Pro!!!!

graybalanced wrote:

If I had to use a mini as a main editing Mac, at least one of the internal drives would have to be an SSD. More likely, an SSD internal boot drive, and an external RAID via Thunderbolt for Mac Pro-like fast media access. Or at least one of those Mini-stackable external drive units that can take huge, fast 3.5" desktop drives. Combine 16GB RAM with an SSD and you could approach Mac Pro speeds as was demonstrated with a 16GB RAM+SSD configuration in the MacBook Pro by macperformanceguide.com. Although yes, the video card would still be weak.

bpdougd stated that you are limited to a single drive. I just wanted to point out that there is room for two drives. They are laptop drives but it is not just one drive.

What type of repair are you referring to? I'm thinking of the fact that the current iMac hard drive has special thermal sensor firmware. Unlike all other non-Air Macs, where you can order a hard drive from anywhere and install it yourself, if you try to put a stock hard drive into an iMac, you will not have the special firmware, and the iMac will not function correctly. You must take it into Apple and have them do it ($$$$) with a drive of their choosing. Unless this has changed lately.

If a repairshop can fix the problem under warranty they should also be able to fix it out of warranty.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow