NEX5N, is the 18-55 kit worth getting

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
mkln Regular Member • Posts: 156
Re: NEX5N, is the 18-55 kit worth getting

I bought the NEX 5N with the kit lens.
it's a great performer for the weight/price.

there are better lenses (primes) out there, but the kit lens is definitely worth the $150 premium over the body only price.

this is not to say that it's perfect - it's not. I use it less often than my main normal prime (35mm), but I usually take it with me along with the prime because it's so versatile and weights nothing.

I think it's so worth it that I bought the NEX 7 with the black version. I am eventually going to sell my 5N with the kit lens, so I had to make this choice again for the NEX 7. even if the kit lens is not a very good performer on the NEX 7, I don't really mind. it's not always about sharpness. the black version will appear smaller and less flashy than the silver version, and this is a huge plus when I don't want to be noticed.

Prairie Pal wrote:

I handled an NEX body for the first time this weekend. I thought I owed myself a look-see before any further commitment to the MTF format. Is the 18-55 kit worth getting or are most people soon looking to upgrade the IQ?

mkln's gear list:mkln's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow