D800 + 85 1.4G Controlled AF Test Results: Left AF point definitely bad.

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wl7 Forum Member • Posts: 53
D800 + 85 1.4G Controlled AF Test Results: Left AF point definitely bad.

Today I did some controlled autofocus tests using my D800 and 85 1.5G, mounted on a tripod.

I used 5 different AF points during the test, starting with the leftmost, then left center, center, right center, rightmost. I rotated the ballhead so that the AF point being tested was always on the target, and repeated the sequence 5 times. I intentionally defocused after each picture, and the AF mode was set to AFS.

The first picture is an example of the entire frame when using the center AF point. The second picture is a composite of 25 100% crops of the target using the leftmost AF, left center, center, right center, right AF points as labeled across the top.

All shots were taken wide open at f/1.4, ISO 400, 1/125sec, timer + exposure delay with the camera mounted on a tripod, 8 feet away from the target.

Clearly, my camera has a problem with the leftmost AF point. Actually, the sharpest focus was using the right center AF point. The center AF point was still a bit soft.

I haven't yet repeated this test with my 24 1.4, but based on my observations, I am pretty sure that the results would be the same

Nikon needs to address this ASAP. If they don't, my camera will be returned to Best Buy in two weeks before my 30 days are up!

wl7's gear list:wl7's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
wl7
TOF guy MOD
wl7
TOF guy MOD
wl7
wl7
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
wl7
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow