Having briefly owned the D800 and the 5D3....

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
aman74 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002
Re: Having briefly owned the D800 and the 5D3....

DocS wrote:

First: the 5D3 is significantly more comfortable to hold than the D800. I know people say it’s a matter of preference, but not in this case.

Hmmm, it's not possible that one or the other may be more comfortable depending on someone's physiology?

Second: Ken Rockwell described the D800 as “ergonomically primitive”, and I agree with him completely. The D800 is a box with buttons and switches all over it. The 5DMk3 is much sleeker in appearance. It’s also not as bulky. Of course, this is something you can see from photos.

You do realize menus are part of the ergonomics right? So you contradicted yourself immediately.

Fourth: the AF on the Canon is better. Of course, the lenses I used on the two are quite different. With the D800, I used the 28-300VR with Silent-Wave motor. I have the 5DMk3 kit with the 24-105 L lens. The Nikon 28-300 is not a particularly fast-focusing lens, and given the fact that it has a much wider zoom range, its AF ability is somewhat diminished.

So, it's better and then you admit your test is flawed and means nothing.

Fifth: the shutter on the Nikon sounds tighter. Quite frankly, it sounds better. It’s a distinct, tight mirror slap and that’s it. The 5D3’s shutter/mirror makes somewhat of a clanging sound, as if a bunch of parts are moving out of sync. HOWEVER...the 5D3 is quieter, even when not in silent mode. The D800’s mirror slap is pretty loud and there’s no silent mode.

It does have a quiet mode.

I’m quite happy with the switch. I know I got the better camera AND the better system.

How did you come to that conclusion? Hopefully not by anything you wrote here. I guess IQ isn't important.

And no, I'm not Nikon fanboy. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I just thought this was a very silly post.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow