NEX-7: Sensor dust

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
rolleiman Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Re: NEX-7: Sensor dust

ChrisKramer1 wrote:

The Canon G-series is notorious for sucking in dust - the G9 and G10 suffered particularly from this. G1X owners will probably have a hard time too with that lovely extra big sensor! There have also been complaints about dust on the sensors of Ricoh GXR modules (despite Ricoh specifically advertising them as sealed units that prevent this problem from occurring!) and the Fuji X100.

Only clean the sensor when absolutely necessary. Otherwise, just magic the specks away with Photoshop.

Ahh, but the much larger sensor on the G1x will make the dust spots relatively so much smaller.

My brother has a G9 that's been to Hellenbach and still has zero dust despite being externally filthy most of the time. Yet my coddled and cased Panasonic ZR1 is now needing yet another cleaning; ironically the cheap old Panny FS6 beater that goes through mountain bike hell in my saddlebag for years is whistle clean. My SLT had some factory crud on the sensor but the mirror seems to catch the new stuff; the kitlens just coughed up an interesting shard of grey plastic something out the back.

I'm at the point of just not wanting to risk any serious money on a non cleanable sensor design.

rolleiman's gear list:rolleiman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Sony SLT-A33 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony SLT-A57
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
i3c
TFD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow