X-Pro1, camera with no market. No sports, low light, not small

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
theswede
theswede Veteran Member • Posts: 3,936
Re: Be cool, but then they couldn't make $ off lens sales

JackM wrote:

You obviously don't know what a rangefinder entails. The XP1 has no rangefinder. They could have included one instead of the gimmick hybrid VF.

No, it has no rangefinder, but it's that body style - which is the entire point of the camera. An AF camera for those who want rangefinder style, but not that very specific and limited functionality.

I do, it's a Leica IIIf, it was made in 1951, and to this day there is still nothing digital that matches the design and functionality for less than several mortgage payments.

Not for someone who has the desire and has put in the effort to learn rangefinders properly. But for those who don't (which is pretty much everyone) there are much easier options these days.

And the added complexity and incredibly limiting design of a rangefinder will cause more trouble than it's worth.

My IIIf doesn't even have a light meter. Yet somehow on a roll of 36 I will usually get about 24-30 keepers. Curious.

Not curious at all. You've spent a lot of effort learning the tool. If you spent one tenth of that effort on learning the Xpro you'd do the same thing with that camera. If you don't have the inclination to do that, you won't. It's that simple.

I would love to be skilled with a rangefinder, but I do not have the inclination to spend that effort. Instead I spend effort on learning the (very mild) quirks of modern CDAF on APS-C sensor cameras, and that lets me get the job done to a degree I'm happy with. Maybe you wouldn't be, but then, we've pretty much established that we're rather different.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
kiw
kiw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow