light leakage reported for 5D MkIII

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,525
If your's exhibit this problem then contact Canon.

OK I checked my 5D3 in a dark room with a lens attached and lens cap on and the viewfinder blocked off so no stray light could get in. Putting the top LCD light on changed the shutter speed from 10s to 8s.

I then did the same test but this time shone a very bright torch into the top LCD and got the same result.

I tried the same test with my 7D and the exposure value did not alter.

Now doing the test in daylight with the 5D3 and the lens cap off, but the viewfinder still blocked off, and using the top LCD panel light caused no change in the exposure value neither did shining the very bright torch into the LCD panel.

So it leads me to surmise that it will probably have no effect in day to day daylight photography. On the other hand at night, when using long exposures, if you use the top LCD panel light this may have an effect on the exposure value, and likewise if you were to shine a very bright torch into the LCD panel that too would also have an effect.

So the workaround would be not to have the top panel LCD light on when doing long exposures, plus do shine a bright torch light into the top LCD panel either

I would suggest anyone who has this phenomenon on their 5D3 that they go to their countries Canon web site and contact support by e-mail explaining the problem. At least that way Canon will have an idea of how many cameras are affected and if it is a batch problem as you need to supply the serial number.

Interesting that several 5D2 owners have found their cameras also exhibit this phenomenon but it has obviously not impacted on the performance of the camera as such.

But I would strongly urge everyone who has this on their 5D3 to contact Canon.

Please note no photons were harmed in the above experiments.
--
Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cyk
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
cyk
cyk
tmr
cyk
cyk
cyk
cyk
cyk
cyk
(unknown member)
tmr
tmr
cyk
tmr
tmr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow