Thoughts after my first day with my new (okay slightly used) X1
I decided not to wait on the purchase, and got a Leica certified used X1 from a camera shop for $1495. Seemed like the used prices were going up after it was officially discontinued, and I didn't feel like waiting perhaps a year for the replacement.
Here are my thoughts so far:
1. Awesome image quality. I'm an optics guy, kind of a fanatic about IQ, and have generally never been satisfied with the cameras that I've owned. Now I'm happy.
2. I love the controls, the camera gives me quick access to everything I need and it just gets out of the way when shooting.
3. Autofocus is slow, but not unbearably so... I took it out with my son to the playground, I figured what test could be more difficult than shooting a speeding 5 year old? I got some really nice images, below is one of them and a 100% crop. Resolving individual cat hairs on his coat while he's going down a slide? I'll take that.
4. Metering in bright light was problematic, the camera kept washing out the highlights. I'll have to work on a more manual approach, although it's tough when much of what I shoot is my son. And he never slows down.
5. JPG's out of the camera are awesome. I've been shooting raw with it, I have Photoshop CS5 and yet in a lot of ways I struggle to match the JPG outputs. I thought it was a drawback at first that the camera forces you to record JPG's while shooting raw, but now I'm glad it does because it gives me a benchmark to compare against when post-processing. (I've almost always shot JPG's with my D90 so this whole raw thing is new to me).
c&c appreciated, although be kind because these come after just a couple hours learning the camera.
P.S. My MINI is black with a gray roof, and red trim because it's an S. Definitely time for a Leica sticker
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|Apr 7, 2012|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%