Normal lens for a full frame first timer: 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tripodasaurus Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Normal lens for a full frame first timer: 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?

I am in the same situation but upgrading to the cheaper D700 FX. The standard lens I use on my DX Nikon D80 is a Nikon 24mm which equates to approx. 35mm, wide enough to show the subject in context with its surroundings. I use this most of the time for landscape and general photography and have done so for years now, so I will use a 35mm on my new D700. The very large file size of your D800 will enable you to easily crop when you want to. A 50mm in FX tends to isolate/break the subject from the connection with its surroundings (as do telephotos incidentally) which personally I don't like. For me a 35mm on FX is a no brainer.

I don't use a 50mm except as a 75mm equivalent in DX. I recommend the 85mm as the next size up for FX. Its fabulous for candid portrait shots of friends at drinks parties etc. The next size down from the 35mm for me is the 24mm. I hope that helps if its not too late!

Tripodasaurus's gear list:Tripodasaurus's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow