E-M5 & 7-14, then later in pouring rain

Started Apr 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP ayt Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Re: HLD-6 grip

I really like the grips. haven't used the camera without them yet, other than for a quick handling comparison at the desk. similar deal with the E-620 for me. bought it with grip, and rarely take it off. there are some who prefer not to use the grip of course, so all this is very much based on personal taste and type of use.

with the grips off the E-M5, there is no place for my palm to rest, so the body is effectively being held by my right-hand fingers, i.e. compact camera mode. no biggie if I'm also holding the lens with my left hand, but an issue if I want to take a quick snapshot holding it with one hand since it isn't a rigid configuration. adding the first grip gives a more substantial location to grasp the body with my fingers, helping stability. the second grip allows my palm to stabilize from the rear bottom, for further stability. makes single-handed operations stable. of course, this is with the 12-50 and larger lenses... pancakes, which I don't own, may be a different story.

I think it also depends on whether you use the EVF or the screen for the majority of your photography. the grip makes EVF operations more comfortable, since there is more camera to grasp while controlling the camera by touch. if you frame via the rear LCD, it might be better to have a more nimble setup, since I doubt you'll be grasping in the way the grip necessitates.

also consider that if you rotate the camera 90 degrees, having a shutter release on the lower grip is a much more natural operation. there are also two additional programmable buttons on the button (separately programmable from the body fn buttons) if you find the need for more buttons....

as for me, I plan on using the body with some large 4/3 lenses so the grips are a must IMO, and I'll leave them on even for the small m4/3 lenses for familiarity and the factors listed above. note that I'm not your average m4/3, but someone whose gear is mainly 4/3. so I'm bulking up to meet my size requirement, versus adding grips to something considered normal size.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +38 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow