Normal lens for a full frame first timer: 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?

Started Apr 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
joejack951 Senior Member • Posts: 2,682
Re: Normal lens for a full frame first timer: 50mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4?

jbjose wrote:

I've done more research since finding out about the focus speed.

I'm now leaning toward the 50mm 1.8. I'm now less interested in the 35mm 1.4 due to the cost and the focus speed.

It'll have to come down to testing the 50mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.4 at the shop!

The complaints I've read about the focus speed of the 35/1.4G come from those who have never actually used the lens (aside from at the camera shop). In real world use, the focus speed isn't an issue. In AF-C mode, I've had no problems tracking close range subjects wide open in low light (f/1.4, 1/125", ISO3200). Initial lock in AF-S can be a bit slow as the lens micro-adjusts for perfect focus (and adjusts to your movement as well). For anything other than static subjects, you'll want to use AF-C for this reason.

Whether the cost of the lens can be justified by you is a personal decision but don't let the unfounded complaints of slow AF turn you off from it. On the plus side of the cost, if you can swing the $1600 for the 35/1.4G, the extra $200 for the 50/1.8G should barely sting

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow