5D3 vs D800 - A Technical Analysis (UPDATED & EXTENDED) - With Samples

Started Mar 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Slideshow Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,750
Re: You are not in the same league as Legion5

Well, there is some colour noise in both the ISO 6400 files, but it's not really noticeable unless you increase the saturation. Not a big deal. The files I posted are direct RAW conversions, with no sharpening or NR. There seems to be a problem getting DPRs gallery photos to show at full 100% resolution. I find you have to click where it says "Slideshow Bob > fabric3200" (for example), then select "Original" from the available sizes. Doesn't seem like an ideal way of working.

The 5DII/III moiré is ugly, and not easy to fix. Please let me know if you figure out how to remove that easily.

SB

GeoffreyH wrote:

Actually I stand corrected. I downloaded the RAW files for both and there is NO color noise on the Nikon file @ ISO 6400, — All settings zeroed out in ACR (no sharpening). A little more chroma noise (perhaps) but not objectionable. Maybe the web posted files are JPEGs?

The concern I have with the 5DIII is the moiré pattern on coin (the one next goofy's head on the DP Review's still life image at all ISOs). Anyone else notice this?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/12

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow