Considering the Carl Zeiss 24mm

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
JJJPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,584
Maybe not.

If you love the X100 so much is it possible you love the field of view you get from the wide angle lens?

If that is the case then you might be better off saving some cash and buying the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 lens. It will give you more of a wide angle than the Zeiss for a tiny fraction of the cost but still give you good image quality based on initial tests and sample photos online.

The Zeiss gives you a faster aperture, but only you can say whether you'll be using apertures faster than 2.8 on a regular basis. I have quite a few fast lenses for my other cameras (I'm a multi-system user) but to be honest my best images with fast glass are usually taken stopped down to f/2, f/2.8, f/4, or f/5.6 and I rarely use them at faster apertures unless I'm trying to shoot in the dark without flash or I'm trying to get extremely shallow DOF.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a99 A3000 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow