Very few professionals will change from Canon to Nikon

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike Ca Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Photo as a profession isn't too expensive

meland wrote:

BadBeta wrote:

Thus I don't think it is the expense side that is keeping people back. I believe it is more a function of what they have is still working fine, and avoiding having to deal with two different user interfaces. Not having to buy parallel setups is of course is then there too, but I don't think it is the main reason.

That is partially true. I was talking to a pro the other day who explained he would not be rushing out to replace either his 1DsIII or his 7d.

The 1DsIII is in a fixed studio set up with lights and neither high ISO or AF speed are of the slightest issue.

The 7D is used for functions and weddings and replacing it with either a 5DIII or a D800 - well his customers wouldn't even notice!

Depends on his customers. Some wedding couples now just want a CD with web resolution pics, and then it may not make much difference.

The improved high ISO performance, especially compared to the 7D, will help a lot. You usually are not allowed to use flash during the actual ceremony and many churches are dimly lite, so being able to use higher ISO up to 12,800 and still get good results will let you get better pics of the ceremony. Some top end wedding photographers with a 1D IVs or Nikon D3s use bounce flash off of high church ceilings at high ISO. They are able to get some fantastic pictures that way. The high ISO capabilities of the 5D III may open that up to photographers that are not able to afford those high end cameras.

The other factor is that business for many photographers at the moment is terrible. If you don't have to replace something then you don't.

Definitely true and getting more competitive all the time forcing prices down.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow