Very few professionals will change from Canon to Nikon

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
BadBeta Regular Member • Posts: 454
Photo as a profession isn't too expensive

First off, let me say that I'm what would best be described as a commercial photographer. I'm not a professional photographer as photography is not the major part of my daily work, neither is it the major part of my income. Neither am I in the amateur category as I do take photos for commercial use and with commercial reasoning behind it. I don't have to buy any equipment myself, and have a rather generous budget for techno toys. (I also do some personal photography projects, but that is more the hobby and learning side of it).

However, if I were to go pro full time the costs of the necessary equipment wouldn't really be my main worry. The equipment side of setting up a photography business is not worse than your average small business hair saloon, car mechanic or restaurant. And with today's interest rates the financial costs are very low in the grand scheme of things.

Say you buy a parallel Nikon setup for some $30000. Interests maybe $1500 per year, resale value after 3 years maybe $20000 (as good lenses tend to stay high). So such a setup costs about $5000 per year to have for three years. That shouldn't be a major expense for a earning photographer, so while it still is a reason I think it is somewhat overestimated.

Thus I don't think it is the expense side that is keeping people back. I believe it is more a function of what they have is still working fine, and avoiding having to deal with two different user interfaces. Not having to buy parallel setups is of course is then there too, but I don't think it is the main reason.

BadBeta's gear list:BadBeta's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Ricoh GR Digital III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow