Very few professionals will change from Canon to Nikon

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940
Re: Very few professionals will change from Canon to Nikon

meland wrote:

carlk wrote:

meland wrote:

carlk wrote:

That’s not what I understand. Pros shooting for newspapers and agencies have annual budget to update their equipments. Many buy new gears to replace their 1 or 2 years old ones. A friend of mine who used to work for a newspaper got a few items pretty cheaply that way. Remember the 04’ Olympic sea of white lens pictures? Now you see about half black lenses at similar events. Pros are already switching I think D800 would just tilt the direction toward Nikon a little bit more.

There are fewer and fewer pros whose agencies or newspapers provide them with equipment.

What many agencies, magazines and newspapers have realised is that they can hire freelancers for a lot less than staff photographers and the added advantage is that it then becomes the responsibility of the freelancers to buy and maintain their own equipment.

I don’t know how they work now but they used to have a poll of equipments for many photographers instead of each buy their own. Anyway my point is the switching has already happened even before D800. That’s the only reason Canon pre-announced the not ready yet 1D X.

The equipment pool has almost gone. And I find it hard to agree with your statement that switching has already happened (other than switching that happens to and fro constantly which is due to a variety of factors and usually balances out anyway). If it had that would indicate that Nikon's market share would have increased relative to Canon's and that hasn't happened at all (unless you have got some sales or production figures that I don't have?).

I have no sales data just my unscientific observation of white vs. black lenses at sports events.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow