NX200 FW 1.04 Raw SRW Bits/Sample now 12

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ariston Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
Re: NX200 FW 1.04 Raw SRW Bits/Sample now 12

photo444 wrote:

Ariston,

I am glad you didn't see any difference in IQ between 1.04 and before.

There have been a hoopla in SLRClub in Korea regarding this issue, too. Some people pointed out that the SPEC of NX200 clearly says 12bit pixel. At this time there definitely is a confusion. The reduced IQ which some have observed after updating the firmware 1.04 could be anything else as well, for example, older ROW was manipulated by ACR v6.6 while the new ROW was done with v6.7, and the two versions are not identical. There is no SRW file that can be processed by both versions, either.

If exiv2 program really detect 14 bit resolution from the older ROW file, is the SPEC of NX200 wrong? How about the validity of exiv2?

Many have to be answered at this moment, and Samsung has to say something about this.

Yes. just for clarification is that there are differences on the default setting/adjustment made in LR on the NX200 firmware version used. what I noticed from the version 1.0 to the succeeding firmwares is the reduction of yellow cast and application of color NR which were absent from the first version. for now, everything is just speculation about 14 bit to 12 bit change. I cannot say the same would apply or compare such principle to certain cameras such as the D300 due to the pixel limit (12 MP versus 20MP) which would have differences with regards to signal/noise ratio, DR as well as effects in tonal range. the conversion and the sensor limitation somehow negates the theoretical connotation of bit range capability. is there data loss or not?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PDM
PDM
PDM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow