NX200 FW 1.04 Raw SRW Bits/Sample now 12

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,147
Re: 14 bits is useless data on most cams... (more)

snake_b wrote:

Here's what you said, a few posts above:

I was saying your extra bits are meaningless (you still have all your original bits), you aren't gaining anything on most sensors going from 12 to 14 bit as your readout noise is greater than your individual step size.

12 bits is 2^12 discrete levels = 4096. 14 bits is 16384 levels. A level is what value a pixel could take, say 0 is white and 4095 is black.

Say your read noise limits you to 4000 levels possible (you read noise limits your confidence in your measurement of light). Why would I try to break that up into 16,384 levels? It generates extra useless data. Your measurement error is greater than your measurement. So your extra 12k data points are meaningless. (not totally, just not more accurate than the 12 bit case).

In the case of 12 bits, your error might be +/-1, but in the case of 14 bits, your error might be + -4 levels, so you didn't gain any extra information.

Say you read noise limited you to 5000 levels? Well, you would gain a tiny bit going to a 14 bit ADC.

These numbers are just approximations for example. They certainly aren't important at higher ISOs, but only at base ISO. It is possible that with the 20 MP samsung they truncate just a bit of data, but I find it unlikely, especially with a 20 MP sensor.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PDM
PDM
PDM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow