NX200 FW 1.04 Raw SRW Bits/Sample now 12

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Delos
Delos Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Re: NX200 FW 1.04 Raw SRW Bits/Sample now 12

This is an interesting discussion thread. I wonder, though, if it may not contain a lot of overreaction (not a criticism of the concerns). My Nikon D300 offers the ability to choose the bit depth. When this camera was first released there was discussion concerning 14 bit versus 12 bit depth. The reviewers who did (reportedly) extensive testing showed little to no visible difference in image quality or color rendering. In fact, most of the reviews I read suggested that the 14 bit depth was of little use and recommended using the 12 bit depth for all but the most critical shooting.

I've used the camera with both bit depths and prefer the 12 bit for two reasons: 1) higher frame rate on the camera; 2) slightly smaller file size. I really cannot see any difference between 12 and 14 bit. If you are a pixel peeper and run complex algorithms on color charts, you may be able to measure some difference, but I doubt you will be able to see and difference. Our eyes (and printers and monitors) are simply not that sensitive.

This note is not a criticism of anyone's concerns about reducing the captured bit depth. I personally prefer the observable improvement is frame rate (write times) and file size over the (in my eye) non-observable decrease in bit depth.

Delos's gear list:Delos's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX720 HS Nikon D300 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PDM
PDM
PDM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow