Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 17,469
For those with E-1, E-300, E-330, E-500, E-510, E-520, E-3, and E-30's

Folks:

Don't mind me buttin' in here, but when I happen to come across a product that performs beyond the wildest expectations, I just have to sing its praises.

Let's talk batteries - specifically, BLM-1 types. For those of you who still own the likes of the E-1, E-300, E-330, E-500, E-510, E-520, E-3, and the E-30, I am strongly (in truly the most enthusiastic sense of the word) recommending that you look into this inexpensive, yet very high quality and powerful 3rd party battery. I actually came across the Wasabi brand several years ago thanks to a local camera dealer owner who swore by them.

It's the Wasabi Power BLM-1 battery , which features a design that is actually much more powerful than the regular BLM-1 - yet only costs $16.95 USD each. I wound up purchasing 8 of these last year - assuming, "what the hay.....," what's to lose. I've had a few for other camera brands and they worked superbly.

But after trying them, I stopped using my regular Oly BLM-1's and the Oly types have been sitting in the drawer ever since.

What hit home this point (again) was that yesterday evening I covered an event at our State Fair Grounds, in which I used the E-30 with battery grip. I shot over 2700 images (on a 32 MEG CF card) - using the Wasabe BLM-1's (with an image review of 3 seconds after each shot). When I was finished for the evening, I still had a full charge. But just to be sure, after I got home, I put them (the 2 in the battery grip) in chargers. It took less than 10 minutes for each battery to register a full charge (which indicates that they were still quite full) - and we're not talking fast chargers.

So folks, yesterday wasn't the first time I used them. I've been using them all this past year at various events with absolutely no hassles whatsoever and their longevity levels are astounding. And I usually hate 3rd party batteries because most of 'em fall short, IMO. But not these - these are what the Oly versions should have been. I recommended these to a gent locally last summer and he's been using them in his E-5 and he swears by them.

Here's the link to where you can get them. Do note that they include Premium Japanese Cells - and believe me when I say it's no sales ploy. The online Vendor - Blue Nook - is a very reputable outfit. These babies are so superior to regular BLM-1's that there is no comparison.

http://www.bluenook.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Olympus-Digital/dp/B0041012V6?ie=UTF8&id=Wasabi%20Power%20Battery%20Olympus%20Digital&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2533795011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=2533795011&searchPage=1&searchKeywords=Olympus%20BLM-1%20battery&field_keywords=Olympus%20BLM-1%20battery&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank

Also check out the other Wasabi batteries for various digital cameras. I've replaced most of my Oly (and some Nikon) batteries with Wasabi Japanese Cell versions at a fraction of the cost - but with much, much longer results. Here are a list of their Olympus Wasabi Batteries (some with chargers):

http://www.bluenook.com/s?searchSize=72&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2533795011&searchNodeID=2533795011&searchKeywords=WAsabi+Olympus+batteries&field_keywords=WAsabi+Olympus+batteries&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank&searchPage=1

Make sure to look at each battery to insure that they have the Premium Japanese Cells. Most do - but there are some that don't list the Japanese Cells, and I'm assuming they won't last as long.

Good luck....

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 +42 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-520 (EVOLT E-520)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow