K-01 daylight flash problem (cross-post)

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Baxter Bad
OP Baxter Bad Regular Member • Posts: 158
Re: It would be helpful to have access to the exif data.

Russell Evans wrote:

Baxter Bad wrote:

Hi Russell, thanks very much for jumping in. It does seems like the lens isn't stopping down. But I've tested four lenses (Ltd primes, all nearly brand new) with the same result.

If there is an issue with the cameras aperture arm mechanism, then it would be lens independent, which it sounds as if it is.

As for DOF preview, isn't the K-01, as a live view camera, always showing the DOF (or at least a simulation of it)?

No, the arm that you see in the mount holds the aperture wide open so that AF and framing gets the most possible light to use. When the shutter triggers, the arm is supposed to move to a position that closes the aperture for the photo and then goes back to fully open once the photo has been taken.

You would probably see the aperture setting in the video mode though, as that's the only way video could work. Set the aperture to f22 in video mode and see if the LCD goes darker. That should tell you the arm is working on the camera body. I'm not sure if you'll have to start a movie or not.

Thank you
Russell

Interesting, I just tested movie mode at f22 and f2 and all seems well. Then again, this flash problem is occurring only during daylight. I can take a shot right now in my living room (it's 9:25 pm where I am) and it will come out okay. I'll try the movies again tomorrow morning outside, I feel like you're onto something.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow