UWA suggestions - NOT fisheye

Started Mar 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
JoeDaBassPlayer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,591
Re: Another vote for the Sigma 8-16

Ishpuini wrote:

I have spent a lot of time pondering which lens to get to increase the FoV of my kit. Years actually. It was tempered by getting the excellent DA15/4 limited, but only temporarily.

Before that I used the Zenitar 16/2.8 for a while (on 6MP it was OK, but it disappointed me from 10MP on), and later the DA10-17. I still like the latter, but I agree it's more of an effect lens than a general purpose lens.

After getting the DA15/4 I held off looking for a UWA zoom, hoping that the excellent Tokina 11-16/2.8 would be made in Pentax mount, possibly by Pentax themselves (in analogy with the 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8). Unfortunately this was not to be...

And then appeared the Sigma 8-16. After initial excellent reviews I purchased it from SRS microsystems in the UK. I must say I'm really glad I waited for this lens. It is really an excellent piece of glass: sharp and contrasty and very well built (EX grade actually, it's only called DC because of the reduced image circle for APS-C). It has made that the wide end of my kit now feels complete.

Wim

How good is the DA15? I still use the Z16. On the K2000 (Km). Stopped down F4-F8, it is as sharp as my FA35/2 or F50/1.7.
--
Variance is Evil!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow