Wide angle Lens Suggestions?

Started Mar 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770
Re: Wide angle Lens Suggestions?

Shinjitago wrote:

Hello, I am looking for suggestions on a wide-angle(non-fisheye) Fast zoom lens, I take photography at really dark clubs/areas using a Nikon D5100 accompanied with a sb-700 flash with a Gary Fong(Clouded) attachment.

In general there is one Lens that looks absolutely amazing for what I am looking for but it costs about 2 grand and I'm not really looking to spend that much on a lens just yet

-- hide signature --

> http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2163/AF-S-NIKKOR-14-24mm-f%252F2.8G-ED.html

I've been looking for a few weeks now, I typically use shutter lag with the standard Nikon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 VR Lens.

I am looking to get more of a wider angle but still have a zoom capability while in "close corners" with people. I do not require it to be a nikon brand but atleast can work with AF.

Because you shoot in dark clubs, it would probably be helpful to have a fast lens. Fast + wide angle is rare. Rarer still for DX.

As the other people have noted, Tokina has an 11-16 f2.8 lens due to start shipping real soon.

Zeiss has a 15mm f2.8 manual focus lens due out very soon which based on early testing seems to be very nice.

Alternately you could use the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye and de-fish the results later in software.

Another option is to use two lenses. 1 for very wide (but not very fast) and 1 for very fast (but not very wide)
For example, teaming the Nikon 10-24 with the Sigma 20mm f1.8

Ultimately for your type of photography, it would be easier with a Nikon d700 body. It needs less than half the light for the same results as the d5100. And because it is full-frame, lenses will be wider on it (assuming they are FX lenses).

For example, the 20mm f1.8 Sigma would give you the same angle of view and same light gathering as a 13mm f/1.0 lens on your d5100

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow