EF-S 17-55 Priced Too High?

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,849
Re: The price is fine

Robert Krawitz wrote:

Isn't that what it always comes down to? What your needs are and how well the particular lens meets them? If you don't need a standard zoom, the 17-55 is obviously of no use.

Absolutely! It's all down to what you do photography-wise. I bought the 17-55 at a time that I didn't know, and at those times the versatility of the 17-55 is the best option.

The question of FF vs. crop is another one altogether. The 5D II is simply not in the same league as the 7D for shooting action, and it's more expensive, and requires longer (and more expensive, and heavier) lenses for the same tele resolution. I know that ISO 6400 on that would be a lot better than on the 7D, but I'm not being paid for it and don't want to spend more money for a body less suited to my needs. The 5D III, of course, presumably fixes the action issues, but the resolution issue is still there and it's even more money.

The image quality that comes out of the 7D is really good. With the right post-processing it can give amazing results, even at higher ISO. There is always something better, but at the price I think the 7D is an amazing all-rounder.

Quite honestly, I think the whole build quality issue is overrated for most photographers. If you're going whitewater rafting with it, it's a different story, but most of us probably don't. I've done plenty of landscape shooting with non-sealed lenses, but maybe I'm not pushing things as hard as you.. The missing lens hood is really silly; I can easily buy a Pearstone equivalent (and will soon enough); that one is a gratuitous slap by Canon.

It depends. There are two reasons why I prefer build quality. One is simply a personal preference. In the same way that the 7D feels so much better to use than my old Nikon D80 ever did. The build quality makes the 7D (and D300, which I also looked at before I bought the Canon) a joy to hold. Not directly functional, but relevant nonetheless.

Secondly is of course the use itself. When I travel, I travel to the mountains, the woods, anything active and outdoors (although I stay at a nice hotel ). Last time was the Canadian Rockies in winter, next time might be a British summer. Environmental seals offer a genuine advatage in those conditions.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow