Q for DPR. How do you compare noise?

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrew Westlake Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re: An Informational Request to DPReview's Andy Westlake

Detail Man wrote:

(1) I assume that DPReview records are kept (measured independently from model-to-model varying camera-metering readings, and measured using a separate light-meter) of the illuminance of the test target at the time of performing the individual tests.

No, they're not, as a rule. We're a camera review site, not a science lab.

(2) Can it be assumed that the amplitude-scaling of RAW image-data in versions of Camera RAW used to convert the GH2, GX1, G3 and E-M5 RAW image-files has been controlled and consistent ? All that I need to know is the ratios between the amplitude-scalings in each of these specific cases

If you're asking the question I think you are (although to be honest I'm not entirely sure what you're saying), then the answer is almost certainly no. Our RAW conversions are brightness-matched to the camera JPEGs so the comparison makes visual sense between cameras. This is Adobe's policy anyway - after all, it's what most users expect - so we don't generally have to adjust the output sliders from default positions, but occasionally we'll tweak the brightness control to get the best possible match.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Andrew Westlake's gear list:Andrew Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
odl
odl
odl
odl
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow