EF-S 17-55 Priced Too High?

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gravi
Gravi Senior Member • Posts: 1,545
Re: EF-S 17-55 Priced Too High?

I tried all kinds of lenses on my 7D because I thought the price of the 17-55 was too high for a non-L lens:
sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS
sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4 OS
canon 17-40 f4
canon 24-105 f4 IS

the sigmas just didn't give me the quality I was used to coming from Olympus and their great Zuiko lenses (12-60mm f2.8-4)

The canon FF lenses were expensive as well, but L branded. Still the IQ was not what I'd expect. The build quality was excellent.

Then I just went with the 17-55 f2.8 IS and never looked back. The build quality is not the best, but it doesn't fall apart on the first rough treatment. No problems there. But the IQ... unmatched! My copy just blew away all the other lenses mentioned. wideopen it is sharp. Stopped down a bit it is fantastic. Rivals my 70-200mm f2.8 mkII

I spent the money, never looked back, and forgot what it has cost me. THe results speak for themself. I'd love a little more reach on both ends, but hey, nothing is perfect

Poxywallow wrote:

I've noticed while perusing different sites and fora that the EF-S 17-55 lens is incredibly expensive for a non-L series Canon lens. A good deal on the lens runs you almost $800, and its retail price tops the $1000 mark. Now, don't get me wrong -- I know the lens is a great piece of glass. But I'm just wondering if it's really worth the money?

The EF-S doesn't have weatherproofing, doesn't fit full frame cameras, and it has a plastic barrel (which to me means it is not as solidly built).

Consulting http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx , I realize that the lens is a superb optical performer. But I question the pricing of such a lens in the L series range.

Am I reading too far into the differences? I suppose I probably am, but I appreciate feedback. Hopefully I'm not the only one still in sticker shock.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow