Unbelievable! Olympus America rejects negative reviews

Started Mar 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NZ Scott
NZ Scott Veteran Member • Posts: 4,950
Unbelievable! Olympus America rejects negative reviews

Hi guys,

A couple of days ago I found myself on the Olympus America website and thought that I might as well bang out a review of the M. Zuiko 12mm 2.0 while I was there. I did this because the only other reviews for this lens on the website gave it five stars, and I do not think it is a five star lens because of the price. So I wrote a review that gave it three stars.

What do you think happened?

Olympus America rejected my review. So I went back to the website and wrote another. Rejected again! I emailed Olympus and asked them why the review was rejected, but all I got was a stock email directing me to a page displaying submission guidelines. As far as I can see, my review meets those guidelines.

Anyhow, I have tweaked the review and posted it again. Let's see what happens. I'll get back to you if it is rejected. Here is the review:

Overall Rating: 3/5
Performance: 4/5
Quality: 4/5
Value: 2/5

A GOOD LENS, BUT WAY TOO EXPENSIVE

I bought the M. Zuiko 12mm 2.0 primarily as a landscape lens, but also as a low-light option in social situations. It does those jobs quite well, but not as well as it should for the price.

Build quality: Is good. The lens has a metal barrel and the glass has clearly been coated. However, there is a little bit of "play" in the focus ring, and the lens is not water or dust sealed.

Image quality: Is good. The lens produces minimal distortion (after in-camera software corrections), minimal chromatic aberration and is quite resistant to flare. However, it is not as sharp as it should be. I have been disappointed with the amount of sharpness that I have been achieving across the frame.

Value: Is rather poor. A prime lens in this price bracket should be tack-sharp across the frame and preferably be weather sealed.

Zone focusing: The lens has a distance scale on the focus ring. I have found this useful for zone focusing while shooting landscapes. However, the ring is marked only for f2, f5.6 and f11, and of these only the middle one is useful (diffraction has set in by f11).

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
odl
odl
odl
odl
odl
odl
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow