EF-S 17-55 Priced Too High?

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
Re: EF-S 17-55 Priced Too High?

If I had run across the 17-55 at $800 I might very well have gone for it! It was readily available around a year ago for a bit over $900, and now a refurb from Canon is $943.

Yes, I think it's priced too high, especially considering some of Canon's other lenses. For just another $200 you can have a 70-200 f4L. With a hood and a pouch. A lot of review sites think it's astronomical too. I really don't get it, as a lot of Canon lenses seem to be right in line and competitive, especially the EF-S line.

What you do get is an optically superior lens and fast for crop body cameras.

The cost of the 17-55 made me give the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD (whew!) a shot at its current reduced price. It has turned out to be a fantastic lens, and works great on 2 bodies. A lot of people here love it, a lot have had terrible luck. Sigma lotto. The size and build is great. Plus it comes with a hood and a nice case.

So because of the pricing, Canon lost a customer this time around. Like I said, if it was just a bit less I'd have gotten it.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow