Thinking of selling A77....Those who went Canon 7d/Nikon d7000, a question

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Waltz41 Regular Member • Posts: 119
Thinking of selling A77....Those who went Canon 7d/Nikon d7000, a question

I apologize this is so long!

Please note, this is not a Sony A77 EVF etc bash. I'm not looking to start any wars, what I am hoping to get is some helpful comments on those with a Canon 7d, or Nikon D7000 who maybe have even came from sony (or vice versa). Ok... a little background first...

So I've had the A77 since about late November, however, I have only had it out to shoot a handful of times. Reason being, I mainly shoot military aircraft, at airshows, and a bombing/gun range (used to have a USN base 5 min but it was closed a year ago). I just did a few backyard shots here and there just to play with the A77, but I recently got a chance to go out and shoot at the range. I took the A77, and a newly purchased 70-400G (which I will be most likely returning within the week). I used to use an A700 and bigma (which I still own).

Overall, I want to first say that I do really like the A77. I think the EVF is a pretty cool technology which really makes it easier to take pictures. So this is not an EVF hater here. Also I love some of the features, like having the very good video w/ AF and being able to use the EVF with it, panorama, etc.

All that being said, I ran into something that really might be a deal breaker for me. The biggest problem I had, was the slideshow effect in shooting with bursts. Having a jet 'buzz' the tower, moving right to left at around 200 mph, I could stay on the jet for the beginning but then after a few shots I started over compensating and moving the camera a little bit more than I needed to and totally missed. (I have been shooting fast moving jets and aircraft for about 5 years now, so I would like to think I'm pretty good at my panning technique too)

The only other negative I had was once I had on eye protection (the aircraft were using lasers on their targets) and I went to take a photo and the EVF did not start....it was like it was not picking up my eye to the camera, which I'm pretty sure was because of the glasses (they have a yellow tint to them?). That being said, I missed basically two great oppurtunites for some close up photos as the jets screamed past.

This really made me think long and hard about my gear. And as much as I want to stay with Sony, because I'm comforatble with it and I do like a lot of their features, I'm really thinking of just selling it all to get for example a Canon 7d and a 100-400mm L lens. The thing is I only own right now, an A77, A700, Bigma and 18-250mm. And the only thing I want is a 'sports' action camera with decent reach.

So assuming I can sell off the little I have, am I making sense, getting one body and one lens (7d and 100-400, or d7000 and 80-400 or bigma, etc), and learning that system specifically for what I shoot? How did it work for you? Thank you for reading.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tom
tom
tom
tom
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow