Rocket science and small stupidities - the case of easy-iso

Started Mar 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
perhort
OP perhort Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Third dial

David314 wrote:

I think the point is that there should be a dial dedicated to iso, aperture, and shutter speed

Like the Sony nex7

The other solution in my mind is a programmable button on the left front of the camera like the d40

I'm not familiar with Sony's system. Anyway, three variables determine exposure so for semiautomatic exposure two dials are needed while the camera takes care of the rest. In "auto-shutter mode" one dials aperture and iso and let the camera set the shutter. In "auto-aperture mode" one dials shutter and iso and let the camera set aperture. In "auto-iso mode" one dials aperture and shutter and let the camera set iso. There should be no need to press a button to dial iso any more than one would need an aperture button in order to dial aperture. Maybe one could have a button stacked away somewhere in a lowly place for the rare occasion when one wants to go fully manual (then of course a back side dial a la Canon couldn't hurt).

perhort's gear list:perhort's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow