Olympus OM-D (EM-5) comparison samples are now.. (continued)

Started Mar 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Simon Cowell Senior Member • Posts: 2,543
Re: Olympus OM-D (EM-5) comparison samples are now.. (continued)

Andy Westlake wrote:

panos_m wrote:

So if I understand it correctly the only two variables that you try to keep constant between cameras tested in your studio setup is the rendered middle gray value of the OOC jpeg at standard settings (factory jpeg settings out of the box) and the manufacturer stated iso.

Or stated a little differently you try to align the exposures between cameras based on the rendered middle gray value of the OOC jpeg at standard settings (factory jpeg settings out of the box) at the manufacturer stated iso.

Am I right?

Yes, in terms of exposure.

Sorry to reenact this thread and I really appreciate Andy's effort to clarify the issue.

However, I feel I need to ask this:

Based on the answer above, how valid is it to present the comparison results in terms of the manufacturers's ISO settings when it is known that the ISO 12232:2006 standard allows the manufacturers to set the ISO values arbitrarily and is applicable to sRGB output (not raw) only?

Note, I'm not arguing here that what you do is invalid for a particular manufacturer/camera model, I'm arguing is not valid to compare/present noise results across camera models for a particular ISO value.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
MT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow