5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174
Re: 5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

carlk wrote:

You are right. There are many more, and that’s a big understatement, enthusiasts than pro wedding photographers who buy dslr. These enthusiasts shoot more serious landscape than weddings. Canon can charge twice the price and still lose money if they only intend to sell 5DIII to pro wedding photographer, not to mention there is already the 1DX. The 22MP sensor and the price of the camera are just miscalculations if not because of technical limitation on Canon’s part.

You both are right about one thing, that more "enthusiasts" buy cameras, including the 5 series, than do wedding pros. In fact, I'd bet enthusiasts outnumber all professional camera buyers in any but the 1 series. But those enthusiast buyers don't just shoot landscapes, they shoot portraits, glamour, sports, pets, you name it, sometimes all with the same camera. And they also shoot in tough lighting environments, sometimes without a complete understanding of how to work exposures. The features that the 5D3 has plays right to that market. Yeah, it gives up some pixels for sheer resolution to the D800, but that frame rate might come in mighty handy for their kids' soccer game when they're not out shooting hypothetical landscapes. And the high ISO? Really nice for the kid's birthday party, don't ya think? And it certainly has enough resolution to produce stunning landscapes in sizes most enthusiast/non-pro photographers print, in fact, somewhat beyond that point.

With many amateur/enthusiast photographers, pixel count becomes a case of "mine's bigger than yours is," which is where Canon may have made a mistake. They probably thought the pixel wars were over, much like the auto manufacturers in the late '70s. It's still all about pixel count, just like it's now all about maximum horsepower. No matter whether you'll ever use it, or ever can use it, everybody wants it.

technic wrote:

please wake up; companies like Canon make money by volume, not with niche products like cameras that are only sold to professionals (like most of all the Canon 1D series or similar Nikon models). Most of the people buying 5D/5D2 type camera's were NOT pro's, they are mostly consumers/prosumers with money, who are willing to pay for better image quality (resolution etc. is far more an issue for landscape and architecture than for weddings, the 'making money' part is irrelevant).

Maybe the 5D3 is going to be an exception, but I know for sure that most of the sales of 5D/5D2 in my area were NOT to 'pros' (and I'm pretty sure the wedding shooters were only a small minority of these buyers).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow