Deciding between NEX-7 and 5DmkIII

Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rob
Rob Regular Member • Posts: 463
Deciding between NEX-7 and 5DmkIII

I currently shoot a 1DmkII (have been since 2004), I've been going back and forth between the NEX-7 and the 5DmkIII as my upgrade options. They have almost exactly the opposite pros and cons for me, so it's really hard.

NEX-7
pros: Light weight, small, swivel LCD.

cons: Smaller sensor = noiser high ISO, AF not very good, have to replace my Canon-mount lenses (I prefer AF to MF most of the time, and mount adapters usually don't have all AF features intact), and no ultra-wide zoom lens available.

5D MarkIII

pros: Larger sensor, better high ISO, class-leading AF, already have Canon-mount lenses (EF 50 f/1.4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 12-24 f/4.5/5.6, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS L).

cons: It's still 2/3 of size/weight of the 1DmkII, which makes it much heavier/bulkier than the NEX-7. No swivel LCD.

In the last few years, I've gotten sick and tired of lugging the monstrous 1DmkII around with me on vacations and in general. Instead, I bought a Lumix LX5 for casual shooting while going out. The 1DmkII became a home camera, which I use to shoot my wife (I keep a photo diary of her on my site).

Other than the weight/size issue, I've also become less than happy with the 1DmkII's AF accuracy/speed (in low light), and the lackluster high ISO performance (compared to today's technology). So these reasons combined become my main reason for wanting to upgrade.

I'm afraid the NEX-7's high ISO and AF performance isn't enough for all the low-light candid shooting I do, even though it'll be a lot lighter/smaller so I could start taking a SLR-like camera with me when I go out again (as good as the LX5 is, it's still no match for larger sensors).

But if I get the 5DmkIII, I'm afraid it's still too big/bulky for lugging around on vacations, since 2/3 of the weight/size of the 1DmkII is still a lot, not to mention the Canon-mount lenses are also larger/heavier than the NEX series lenses. While it's more advanced AF/high ISO will replace the 1DmkII at home, if it's still too heavy/bulky for traveling, then its use will be again limited just like the 1DmkII.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on my dilemma. I've been thinking about this too hard and I'm kind of stuck.

-- hide signature --

Art, music, photography, writings, and blog:
http://www.ethereality.info

Rob's gear list:Rob's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow