Would you buy a D700 today and at what price?

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
russbarnes Senior Member • Posts: 1,660
Cameras are not commodities!!!!!

I see this a lot - "I'm worried about losing money".  Facts are that lenses can retain a lot of their value or even increase in value.  Camera bodies do not.

If your decision over buying one body or another is based on what it might be worth later then this is all the wrong mentality because they will both probably devalue and actually it could easily be the case that the D800 "loses" you more given it is a brand new product.  Your decision should be based on your needs now, and what they will be over the next three years at least because no DSLR camera body is going to go up in value in the 2nd hand market.

I have a D700 and have ordered the D800E.  I will not be selling my D700 because it will fill a different need in my photography, for many years from now.  Value of my camera bodies is the last thing I think about and would suggest that there are others who should think more along these lines...

mukNY wrote:

I could of course buy the D700 now and upgrade in a year or so, but I am afraid I would loose a lot of money since D700 prices will probably come down significantly a year after the D800 introduction.

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow