NEX 7 - Resolution power of 24 Mpx - Sharpening Techniques

Started Mar 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 3,773
NEX 7 - Resolution power of 24 Mpx - Sharpening Techniques

Just wanted to share my praise for NEX 7 sensor.

I am in a situation, that I have to shot a complex scene for one of my clients next week.
Final output is supposed to be printed at 200 Dpi sized to 200cm x 150cm.

This is a challenge for my Canon 5D MII, which I normally use even for the billboards. The quality of the print should be high and the viewing distance can be small. (In-store displaying)

I don't have MF which would be appropriate for such a task, and client doesn't have budget to rent it.

Therefore, I started to consider to use NEX 7, because every little extra resolution could help.

Doing many tests, I found a quite good sharpening technique that reveals a real power of NEX 7 sensor resolution.
This test shot was taken with Leitz Summicron - R 50mm f2 at f5.6.
Developed from RAW in LR4 with standard sharpening and NR settings.

Normally I would stop here, as for the screen and normal sized prints, it already looks sharp enough to me. (Natural)

And this is what I was able to get after my extreme sharpening, still preserving the detail and avoiding noise appearance.

Despite all those doubts of the NEX 7 sensor in combination with some lenses, I am almost sure, that I would not be able to squeeze that much of a detail with any other of my cameras. Probably only Nikon D3X and Sony 850/900 would give even more. (not counting MF of course)

I am eager to see what Nikon D800 will bring on table, but unfortunately it will come late for this project... Still, it might become my first digital Nikon

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3X Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow