5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932
Re: 5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

MadManAce wrote:

similar to what Canon did with the 5D Mark III. They targeted pros over hobbyist, which to my understanding, most landscapers are hobbyist, although I know a ton of them. Whether they make money of photography or not, I do know there are many and they do spend. It is not a market to ignore simply because they do not make money from their hobby.

fully agree, but some others here think you could not be more wrong.

See the link below to see the D800e and the Leica S2, which is a faux MF, actually, since the Pentax 645 is a cropped sensor, it is too.

The links seem to be unavailable at the moment, but my guess is that in many real life situations, the D800 with the right lens will be pretty close to Leica S2 and Pentax 645.

For me it is far more important that the D800 is relatively light and compact, lots of quality pixels in a standard DSLR. This means more landscape opportunities than with heavy MF gear that absolutely requires tripod and is slower to handle. I would never consider using a view camera or something similar, irrespective of quality. I used a Mamiya 645 kit long ago, and although the quality compared to 35mm (Nikon F2) was very nice, the weight was too limiting for me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow