5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

Started Mar 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
surf1 Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: 5dIII a DUD for landscape photographers

Hondo Lane wrote:

For a modern landscape photographer a weather sealed body (you listening Canon!!) and 36MP sensor is very exciting.

The 5dII moved me from medium format film and has been a wonderful tool. But I want more! And after 3 years I expected more and so did a lot of others.

My 2 Cents,
Hondo

There are a lot of discussions about Canon's product placement of the 5D3, and many are expecting a higher MP 5DX or 3D within the next 6-12 months.

I believe that with the introduction of the 5D3 Canon makes it difficult to create product differentiation for a new high MP body. A 5Dx with same price, higher MP, lower frame rate, lower ISO as the 5D3 would target a relatively small market segment, but would be cheaper to develop if it's using the same body. A 3D would have to be placed significantly above the 5D in the expensive and professional range, with features for Studio photographers. But nobody knows, if, when and which camera Canon has in the pipeline.

And from a sensor point of view Canon seems to be far from reaching the base ISO DR of the Exmor designs. About 2 stops difference according to Bill Claff.

Maybe set yourself a time frame of 6 months to see if Canon has another ace in the hole and see how the D800 performs before making a decision?

surf1's gear list:surf1's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MM1
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow