18-200mm convenience Vs. 55-210mm for compactness?

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
SandyKHo Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
18-200mm convenience Vs. 55-210mm for compactness?

I purchased a Nex 5N for it's size and portability (as well as low light iimage quality). Now I would like a zoom for it. It should arrive today.

'm contemplating the purchase of either the 18-200mm or the 55-210mm. I'm used to using an 18-270mm on my Canon 60d for everyday shooting, so I'm not accustomed to frequent lens swapping.

I saw a photo of the 5N with the 18-200 lens attached, and it appears that the 18-200 is about the same size as my 18-270 Tamron for the Canon, and the weight is close, defeating the purpose of getting the compact NEX.

I can buy the 55-210 AND the pancake 16mm for the same money I can buy the 18-200 for.

Is there anyone out there that bought the 55-210 and now regrets it because it requires too much lens swapping? I realize that its really just a matter of preference, but I'm curious how others feel.

Is one significantly sharper than the other?

Input would be appreciated. Thank you!

-- hide signature --

God gave us an incredible world. See it, hear it, Touch it, taste it, smell it, PHOTOGRAPH IT!

SandyKHo's gear list:SandyKHo's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-5N +19 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow