5d Mark III memory cards.... Confused.

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
bobkeenan Contributing Member • Posts: 712
5d Mark III memory cards.... Confused.

On my 5d MK II my normal cf card is a SanDisk UDMA 60mb/sec. 16gb. I carry a couple of those and a couple 8GB cards for backup.

I have 5 d MK III on order. It's got a higher frame rate, two card slots, And more shots per bracket set.

I also noticed that to get the max shots at Max frame rate that Canon says you need to have UDMA mode 7 cf card.

I have never used a 2 card camera before. I have read that when you use the cards in backup mode that the data feed rate will only be as fast as the slowest card.

I have had cards go bad over the past bunch of years but a greater annoyance is when I tend to loose more photo opportunities when I run out of room on a card and then have to switch cards. So I am likely to run the III in the mode where the SD card to kicks in when I run out of room on the cf card.

So...... I got rid of my SDHC cards when I went to full frame. What kind of SD cards should I get. Should I get a faster CF card? Mode 7? Larger CF card??? What kind of SD card?

Any suggestions?
Bob Keenan

bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow