5d3 or D800 for landscape and architecture

Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike K Veteran Member • Posts: 5,525
Re:Canon Vs Nikon Tilt Shift for landscape and architecture

bobn2 wrote:

The Canon could be your choice if you want one of the great ts-e lenses available.

Nikon has PC-E lenses at 24, 45 and 85. They can't match the Canon 17mm TS-E.

The Niikon PCE lenses do not have the capability to independently rotate the shift and tilt axes with respect to one another. I find this an important feature present in both the 24 TSE II and 17 TSE lenses that dramatically increases their capability as landscape-architecture tools. to me this is significant enabling capability that the Nikon lens stable does not have, and I use shift and tilt lens movements on at least half of my landscape-architecture shots.

Of course Nikon does not have an equivalent to the Canon 17 TSE.

Also seems to me the 24 TSE II is a bit better optically than the Nikon PCE 24, but I dont recall seeing tests of the Nikon PC E lenses. The lack of CA on the Canon 24 TSE is pretty remarkable. See the lens test on DPR.

Another feature of the Canon bodies that is very useful for tilt shift lens use is a good Live View shooting mode which improves upon MLU. In Canons LV Silent Shooting mode, fine adjustments of tilt and focus are done with LV SS at 5-10X magnification, by moving the magnification rectangle about anywhere in the frame, like a loupe on the back of 4x5 ground glass. This is super critical to get this right, comparing the sharpness of the foreground corner to the background, and a crisp LV presentation on the LCD really helps. When you shoot from this mode the camera grabs exposure from the sensor (the magnification area) and neither the mirror nor shutter move. Thus electronic first curtain has less vibration than the corresponding Nikon MLU. In the Nikon implementation of LV shooting, the mirror has to descend to allow the exposure sensor to grab a reading. This causes mirror slap, so MLU with a 2 sec delay must be added. In the Nikon system the shutter opening begins the exposure, whereas in the Canon system its fully electronic.

I have not read anything to verify if the D800 has changed its LV shooting from previous Nikon bodies, but I assume not as it means abandoning the exposure sensor.
Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow