Moon Maid's sensor comparison (PART 2)

Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
perhort
perhort Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Optimized Design

Does this optimization involve a trade-off so that slightly better performance at the high iso end is bought at the price of slightly worse performance at the low iso end? Because Nikon has stated that they designed the camera to compete with medium format cameras, for studio fashion work for example. So would they not then want to favor low iso performance in true Exmor style rather than reprofile the sensor in the direction of the D3s?

bobn2 wrote:

The Exmor sensors I've seen the details of (obviously not the D8000) have a very configurable architecture. The signal path from column line to internal data bus includes a programmable variable gain amplifier. The capture is sequenced by an internal sequencer, which could well be configurable and reprogrammable (particularly for a large company like Nikon). So, I think that Nikon has probably has plenty of opportunity to optimise the capture sequence and the gain choices to its own preferences without using a different chip. I believe that is what they did with the D3X and D90 to produce a substantial improvement from other cameras using the same silicon.

Probably comes from a long experience of trying to make the most of obsolescent sensors, now they have state of the art ones, they are still making the most.
--
Bob

perhort's gear list:perhort's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
vaj
cpw
vaj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow