Moon Maid's sensor comparison (PART 2)

Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 58,551
Re: Optimized Design

Marianne Oelund wrote:

perhort wrote:

Can this optimization be done after Nikon gets the sensor from Sony? Because according to DxO Mark charts and scores the sensors in the NEX 5N and 7 seem to behave very similarly to the D7000 sensor, and the former two are of the same generation as the D800 sensor. By contrast, the D3s and D4 sensors are non-Sony designs from the beginning.

It must be part of the basic design and cannot be added after the sensor has been fabricated. However, just the fact that a feature is designed into a part, does not mean it must be used. If Sony use the 36Mp sensor in a product later, it wouldn't necessarily be operated the same way; this could be specified in contractual IP agreements between the companies. All of this business is not exactly within my area of expertise, though, and someone like Bobn2 could offer much more enlightenment.

The Exmor sensors I've seen the details of (obviously not the D8000) have a very configurable architecture. The signal path from column line to internal data bus includes a programmable variable gain amplifier. The capture is sequenced by an internal sequencer, which could well be configurable and reprogrammable (particularly for a large company like Nikon). So, I think that Nikon has probably has plenty of opportunity to optimise the capture sequence and the gain choices to its own preferences without using a different chip. I believe that is what they did with the D3X and D90 to produce a substantial improvement from other cameras using the same silicon.

Probably comes from a long experience of trying to make the most of obsolescent sensors, now they have state of the art ones, they are still making the most.
--
Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
vaj
cpw
vaj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow