Looking for tripod ball head with bubble level

Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
fotowbert
fotowbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,770
Multi axis vs single bubble level

Mike717 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! I can see spending more now on a quality tripod/head will be a good investment and easier to use. I do have a small bubble level I got at Home Depot...I never thought of using that with the tripod head.

A multiple axis level, one with vials at right angles to each other, has a definite advantage over the small circular single bubble style levels usually seen on tripod legs and heads in that you can monitor roll angle independent of pitch angle.

By that I mean it will easily allow you to keep the horizon square with your image and still be able to tilt the camera up or down such that the horizon doesn't cut the image in half.

The single circular style bubble level is best a indicating when it is on a horizontal surface with respect to gravity.

This Manfrotto level (or less expensive if you can trust them) would seem to be ideal, especially with a ball head.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-337-Double-Bubble-Level/dp/B00009R6J7

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow