Fuji X-S1 extremely disapointing

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
jcmarfilph Veteran Member • Posts: 7,592
Re: Fuji X-S1 extremely disapointing

So you cannot say a picture is sharp if it was not taken at near or base ISO?

Pathetic claimers are taking away the major advantage of X-S1 over this pile of pinhead sensor cams i.e high ISO performance.

The X-S1 shots at IR are really soft/blurry at some points prolly due to camera shake, settings or whatever.

Let's do another comparison here using data I have gathered from the internet...

I have compared them side-by-side with EXIF displayed.

Which one is much sharper at base and high ISO shots?

kenn threed wrote:

Joms

I don't understand why you'd want to measure the sharpness or IQ of any small-sensor camera at ISO1600. Neither the XS1 nor the FZ150 can produce decent image quality at such high ISOs. The noise and NR smearing completely wreck whatever sharpness might have been captured otherwise, and just looking at these lab results at such high ISOs is enough to make even those with 20/20 vision go blind. There's absolutely no merit or advantage to being a tiny bit less horrible at these uselessly high sensitivities.

If you seriously wish to make decent quality images with any of these tiny-sensor cameras you need to shoot as near to base ISO as possible. And when comparing this site's results with the XS1 against their results with other competing superzooms at ISO100 it's plain to see, that at best, the Fuji fails to earn its "premium" de$ignation... in terms of sharpness or on any other basis.

Having said that however, this is certainly not the first time XS1 samples on the web have fallen well short of what we've seen posted by members of this forum who own the camera. I think it's clear that Imaging-Resource simply failed to get the best from the XS1 in these studio shots. I presume they shoot all their tests pretty much "straight out of the box" and don't spend very much time trying to optimize their results. But of course this is exactly how many users will shoot also... and why so many of them will return their new cameras soon after purchase without ever really knowing how good or bad they are.

It seems to me that the XS1 is probably going to disappoint a lot of people, some of us sooner than later perhaps. But I still look to Paul and the others here who are honestly trying to get the best from it to prove me wrong. And if they can, I sure won't mind being wrong.

Kenn

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HZP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow