Moon Maid's sensor comparison

Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Luke Kaven Veteran Member • Posts: 5,712
Color me curious

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Luke Kaven wrote:

I'm just trying to assimilate it. In the ISO6400 exposure, I was surprised to see the behavior of the D3s on a par with the D4-at-12MP, and surprised to see both of those cameras diverge from the rest beginning at -2EV.

If it's a surprise, then I'm glad I shared this data. This is one of the characteristics that is unique to the D3s/D4 and is the result of some clever and careful optimization that Nikon have done with the analog-chain gain distribution.

In this exposure range at high ISO, read noise is important to the SNR, and the D3s/D4 design has distinct advantages.

The more I think of it, the more I realize that the D3s had this peak in it. I think it's also reflected in the engineering DR measurements. But I had always assumed that there was some kind of low-level NR going on there and that this was an artificial boost. Perhaps I picked up an unquestioned assumption there.

Could you help me to understand what is going on there functionally?

Is this what you would call the decisive edge in low-light performance for the D4 design? I had held out some hope that the squeaky clean Exmor would perform on a par when seen at 12MP.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow